Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Fun!

I love holidays. They give me an excuse to dress up and decorate. I love the traditions that form with holidays. For example, for seven years now (I missed one year because I was on my mission), I've made a graveyard cake around Halloween. Three of those years I made it with one of my good friends/roommates, Katie. Unfortunately, I was sick this week and so I had to take extra precautions when making and decorating my graveyard cupcakes (I did cupcakes this year because my mom sent me some really fun cupcake wrappers). I made sure to wash my hands and use hand sanitizer anytime that I handled the cupcakes and wrapped one my of scarves around my face so that I wouldn't spread my germs by breathing on them either. My roommates and I ate them as we carved pumpkins. I'm so grateful I have roommates who get into holidays as much as I do (or are at least willing to go along with my ideas).



I hadn't come up with a costume idea for this year's Halloween. I had been playing around on amazon.com and found a mask and cloak that I absolutely loved, but also absolutely out of my budget. On Friday afternoon, I was leaving to go to the mall to look at ideas for Christmas Cards (yes, I know it's a tad early, but I'm so excited for Christmas this year), and my roommate, Shelece, was talking about getting dressed up and doing something. I reminded her that I had no Halloween costume. She said we'd figure it out. So, I went to the scrapbook store, looking for ideas and after that was done, I figured I'd might as well look for a quick, easy costume while I was at the mall. They were doing trick-or-treating at the mall and so it was super crowded. My first thought was to find some silky looking p.j.'s and a tiara and go as "sleeping beauty." However, the P.J.'s were just out of my budget as well. So, I stopped by one of my favorite stores, Mariposa, that is going out of business and they had a huge sale going on. I thought maybe I could find a white formal and match Shelece, who was going as an angel, since formals were $30. Alas, I couldn't find one that worked. Still working off of Shelece's theme I thought, what if I went as a demon? I went looking for some devil horns and found a pair at Claire's for $2.40. I then went back to Mariposa and found a red formal skirt my size that was 75% off. I got home and Shelece and I got all dolled up and took some pictures. We then went to the stake Halloween party. It was decent, not too much to do, but it was fun to see friends and the costumes people were wearing. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening. I never would have imagined myself being a demon for Halloween, but that's what happens when you put a costume together in 20 minutes. :-)

4 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

Very Fun!!!! I wish I could have had some of your cupcakes!

Sarah

Kate said...

The cupcakes looks yummy! Nice job on the costume! Looks like you had fun!

Katie said...

I like the cupcakes--it's good to change it up a bit :) I was Lame-o this halloween and didn't even make my dinner in a pumpkin (a fam tradition).

I like the sleeping beauty idea--sorry it didn't work, but you look HOT (pardon the pun) as a demon ;)

Charlie and Amparo said...

yummy cupcakes! very cute. :)