Saturday, May 8, 2010

And then I graduated...Wait, what?

I'm a college graduate. That's a strange to think that I'm done with college, possibly forever (a Master's degree is sitting on the back burner for the next few years). My parents came into town on Thursday and I drove down from Idaho that day as well. Every restaurant was packed of course as it usually is that time of year. I introduced my parents to Zupa's, a soup, salad, and sandwich place.

D. Todd Christofferson spoke at commencement exercises. J. Willard Marriott, Chairman and CEO of Marriott International spoke at convocation. It took an hour and a half to hand out all the degrees. Many graduates left with their families after they got their degrees. My department was at the end, so a lot of people had left by the time I walked across the stage. My parents moved so that they were near where graduates were having their portraits taken before walking across the stage. My mother yelled, “You go girl” in spirit of my college application essay.

My college application essay:
"With baton in hand, I took off, only 400 meters to the finish line. I had never sprinted so fast. I was nearing the finish when my coach yelled, "Lean forward!" As I stretched out, I lost balance. Suddenly I was on the ground ten feet from the finish line. The surround sound of 'Ohh's' let me know how many people were watching. Other runner's feet raced past me. Should I get up?
This was the first time I had fallen in a race, but it wasn't the first time I'd seen people finish before me. Many times I had been the last person to hand in her in-class essay or the last to finish a test. The reading assignment my classmates were able to scan in between first and second period, took me an hour the night before. But I learned I could compete with other students, as long as i invested enough time. I didn't give up.
I knew I had to finish the race. Reaching back, I grabbed the baton, pulled myself up and sprinted. I heard the applause from the stands. One woman yelled, 'You go girl!' When I cross the stage at my college graduation, I think I'll hear her words again calling faintly in my mind. It won't be the end of a race though, it will be the beginning."

I got a bit choked up as I walked toward the stage. I realized that this moment was something that I had looked forward to for so long. The path that I took to get to that moment was full of laughter, late nights (for both academic and social reasons), tears, teachers’ curricular excitement & passion that I got caught up in, stress, group projects, and friends whose influence I hope will never fade. There is a part of me that wishes that I could go back to that lifestyle, but the other part of me looks forward to the life that lies ahead. I have my heading and am anxious to see what lies on the other side of my horizon.




My 1950's housewife dress :)


"It won't be the end the race, it will be the beginning"

2 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

I love, love, love your dress! Congratulations!

John said...

It is an "odd" milestone to hit. One that always seemed so far off in the future - so large and multifaceted. But in retrospect, it was also fairly organized as far as life goes. It would be comforting now to know what i would be "doing" for the next four years or so. Now a days, I haven't a clue...